Next, I began work on the canopy latching mechanism, after ordering all the parts from Brock (while on vacation for a week). I drilled the holes in the longerons and mounted the catches. I then assembled the pushrod and fitted that, ensuring that all three catches had a full range of motion. Next, I fitted the canopy portion of the catches, bondoed them to the canopy, and then drilled and screwed them in place. I then readjusted the catch pushrods so that all three catches tightened down on the pins at the same time - pulling the canopy down evenly and flush.
Next, I assembled the safety catch and handles to the fuselage and canopy, and ensured that they worked correctly.
I cut out the access door in the fuselage, and then layed up the back side and the flange in the fuselage with 2 BID. I then mounted the hinge, Hartwell Latch, and lock to the door and the flange.
I cut holes in the instrument panel for the large plastic air vents and ensured that they fit correctly. I then cut the NACA scoop shape for the air vents in the side of the fuselage slightly farther back than called for in the plans. I carved foam plugs for the air vents and covered them with box sealing tape. I layed up approximately 2 BID over the foam for the vent section, and approximately 2 BID over the foam for the tubular section (I made these as seperate parts). After removing the foam and tape, I then floxed and glassed the air vent parts to the inside of the fuselage and to the rear of the instrument panel.
[Zeitlin's Cozy MKIV Information]
[Zeitlin's Cozy MKIV Logbook]|
[Cozy MKIV Information]