Today was a productive day - my co-worker and I managed (after a lot of fumbling - it's been about 10 years since I last hot-wired something) to hot wire the lower winglet core correctly, trim the foamed hole patch, and patch foam into the trailing edge space. We injected epoxy into the delaminated areas of the wing skin, within a few inches of the torn TE prior to packing the area with dry micro and foam.
I left space for the hidden rudder belhorn conduit, which was torn by the prop as it took the TE with it. I'll be patching it with a piece of conduit and heat shrink tubing - should be good as new.
I figured that as long as I had the lower winglet off and had access to the area, I'd hollow out the space where the hidden belhorn would be and clear space for the conduit to move in the last 2" of the wingtip. This way, all I'll need to do is install the belhorn in the rudder when I'm ready to install it - the hard work will have been done. I actually think that cutting the lower winglet off to do the hidden belhorn installation would be far easier than trying to retrofit it through the cutout in the vertical winglet - the winglet's only held on by 1 BID, there are no structural layups to cut through, and it would be one simple layup to patch afterwards. I'll probably do that on the other side when I finally install them.
We held off on any glassing - the plan is to do all of the 7 UNI structural
patch, lower wing skin, and lower winglet skin all at the same time - that
will minimize the number of individual layups. Plus, I didn't have any UNI
with us - I'll get that by next weekend.
Return to: Cozy MKIV Information
Copyright © 2007, All Rights Reserved, Marc